Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Happy new year and a WIP of a different kind

Happy new year! I hope that this year is the best one yet! :-)

Have I ever told you that I am a crazy bird lady? Well, I am! :-) As I am writing this, I can look out my dining room window and see several birds in queue, waiting for an open space at one of the feeders. Now, that all of the leaves are gone, I can catch glimpses of other birds down at the end of our yard in the wooded area. We are blessed to have lived in some of the best birding areas in the world. The American Birding association moved their headquarters about 5 blocks down the road from us. When we lived in the country of Panama, we saw Toucans quite frequently! I love birds! :-)

I have bird tea things, a table cloth, pictures, figurines, stationery. ...etc. :-) You get the picture, I am sure. :-)

So, I had been thinking that every crazy bird lady needs a bird Christmas tree! Right? ! We had a smallish Christmas tree that we were not using and I already had quite a few bird ornaments and our family tree was getting really full, so it was meant to be! So, my stitching goal this year is to make as many new bird ornaments as possible. :-)
I am keeping it up through January, since it is more wintery and It makes me smile every time I see it. :-)

Without any more rambling, here are some pictures of my bird tree. :-)

10 comments:

Rachel said...

What a fabulous idea for both a Christmas tree and yearly goals. I look forward to seeing many of your accomplishments throughout the year! :)

Julie said...

Your bird tree looks amazing. The stockings hanging behind it are superb too.

Barb said...

Your bird tree is beautiful. I would keep it up too. It does look more wintery than Christmasy.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your bird tree is lovely and is filled with hours and hours of stitched love

Brigitte said...

Your bird tree is fantastic. And so many bird ornaments. I also love birds and love to stitch them too. I have a folder with bird patterns and every now and then I stitch one of them. It's always a lot of fun.

Carol said...

I love birds, too, Heather, and I love your bird tree--how wonderful! The stitched bird pieces are so pretty and I love the hanging nest, also. I would keep it up through January (or even February!), too :)

Sally said...

Your bird tree is beautiful Heather. What a wonderful idea.

Happy New Year! Here's to encouraging each other on SFS!

Mary Joan said...

Hi Heather, I've just found your blog and had to read about your lovely bird tree. I love your cross stitch and bird ornaments. I also love birds. I can see I will be stitching more for my Christmas tree this year.

I remember coming across a blog with felt birds that you might be interest in and well worth looking at. I hope you don't mind me sharing it with you. http://www.downeastthunderfarm.com/bird-patterns/owl-and-raptor-patterns/

Happy Stitching

Mary Joan

Catherine said...

A beautiful tree!!

Karen Andreola said...

My favorite stitched ornament is the cardinals perched on the branches of the feather tree - oh but I like the others, too and the whole theme of birds. So sweet.

Our parakeet flew to the top of the Christmas tree one year and we all laughed because he started singing loudly. We were sorry he couldn't make the tree his home.